My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, May 25, 2009

A few months ago I watched the Good Eats episode where Alton Brown makes sauerkraut. There is almost nothing too it and I decided I wanted to give it a try. Since then I have been looking for the perfect glass crock to make it in. Last night I think I found it at Wal-Mart, so I picked that up and a couple heads of cabbage and attempted my first batch of sauerkraut today.

This is what it looked like after being in the crock for about 30 minutes.



My finger is pointing to the level of liquid so far. The glass of water sitting in the crock is to provide pressure to help squeeze out the liquid from the cabbage and to keep the cabbage submerged to avoid contact with the air.

This is what it looked like after four hours.



All of the cabbage is now covered by liquid. In order to fit the lid on I put a smaller glass of water on top. The glass is sitting on top of a little glass saucer. I tried it with just the saucer but the cabbage was buoyant enough to lift it up to surface level.

I am supposed to keep it cool (65 – 70 degrees) and skim off the blooms that will form every couple days for two weeks. It sounds like after the first couple weeks no more blooms will form and I let it sit for another two weeks for a total of four weeks.

I used to be able to get real sauerkraut at Bobak's when they had a local store. It is so much better than the sauerkraut that is just cured with vinegar. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Very excited. If it works and I like it I don't think I will buy sauerkraut anymore. It will keep for six months in the fridge, and it would be no big deal to whip up a batch every few months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad,

My Grandma used to make it in a big crock and then freeze it in quart bags. There's nothing like the real thing, that's for sure.

Jake