My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I take my lunch to work everyday. It saves me money and, more importantly, I eat better than if I went to a restaurant every day. My normal lunch is a sandwich, usually ham or turkey, one or two pieces of fruit, and maybe some nuts. A couple weeks ago I had a craving for a meatloaf sandwich, so I made a meatloaf over the weekend and packed that for lunch everyday. I liked it so much I'm on my third meatloaf made specifically for lunch sandwiches.

I remember ordering a gin and tonic back in my college days and thinking it was disgusting. I couldn't even finish it. Fast forward several years after that, I thought maybe my tastes matured and I tried it again. Blech. A few years ago I had the same thought and did the same thing. Blech again.

A few weeks ago the thought crossed my mind yet again, so I picked up a bottle of Tanqueray gin and a bottle or Martini & Rossi dry vermouth, looked up the standard martini recipe and I liked it! Next I went out and got a bottle of diet tonic water and a lime and made a gin and tonic. Loved it!

I picked up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire last week, and it is really smooth, but I think I like the pronounced pineyness of the Tanqueray better.

This weekend I bought a cocktail strainer and a set of 4 martini glasses. The strainer makes it way easier to make a martini.

Several weeks back I had people in the neighborhood I met that also had a greyhound watch Mitch overnight. When I picked him up the next day I noticed he was severely squinting his left eye. It only took a couple minutes to realize he probably was a bit too curious of the neighbor's two cats. I took him in to the emergency animal hospital (it was Sunday) and sure enough he had a couple scratches on his cornea. After too weeks of antibiotics and pain killer it was not healing up correctly. Mitch's regular vet did an operation where she scratched a grid pattern over the injury to let the healing process start over again fresh. It worked and he is back to normal again.

Took my car to the dealership a while back for an oil change and they asked if I wanted my cabin air filter changed for only $50. I declined. Last week I picked up a cabin air filter at the car parts store for $16 and it took less than 90 seconds to change it.

I am getting ready to start the process of getting quotes for a new furnace and air conditioner to take advantage of the $1,500 federal tax credit.

No comments: