My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Our Saturday So Far

Today we started out by getting up to go dog walking. We have not walked dogs in two weeks because of Tim, Lisa, and Shawn visiting one weekend, and because of our trip to Mall of America on the following weekend.

We drove through McDonald’s on the way there and each got an Egg McMuffin for breakfast.

Normally when we get to the shelter on Saturday mornings the place is deserted. Maybe one or two cat volunteers and one or two staff members. Today the place was packed. Five people just for dogs. We each grabbed a leash and a dog and went outside. I got a big mild-mannered 10 year old named Douglas, and Sheri got a cute energy filled adolescent named Feynman.

After getting poops out of both of them we met up in the parking lot next door and sat on the curb with our dogs. They played really nice together and had a lot of personality. The young dog needed a bath, and a considerable amount of dander on his black fur. His ears were also very dirty and bothering him. Since there were so many people volunteering we didn’t have to worry about getting all of the dogs out, so we decided to help out Feynman.

We picked him up and put him in the wash tub and I found a nice medicated shampoo. We made sure we worked it deep into his coat so his skin could get healed. After that Sheri found some ear medicine. We squirted that into his ears and then massaged it around for a few minutes. Then we got some paper towels wrapped around our fingers and kept swizzleing out both ears until they came out relatively clean.

He seemed much more comfortable and happier after that. We did our good deed for the day, but I was soaked to the skin; both from him shaking during his bath, and because it was hot and sticky here this morning.

Next we went to the post office to mail a couple of packages.

Right next door to the post office is a Frank’s Nursery store. I wanted to see if they had any tomato cages on sale for next year. They did not, but I picked up a bag of Turf Builder. I will probably put that on tomorrow after I cut the grass.

I was starting to dry out and was getting not so self conscious being seen in public, so we decided to go to the annual Labor Day street party called The Last Fling here in town. We just walked around for about an hour looking at people and ate a corn dog. We like doing that kind of stuff.

By the time we were done we were both really affected by the heat. Sheri’s face was bright red, and I felt a little cloudy-headed. We decided to go find a place to get a drink in air conditioning and read the paper.

On the way to the car I stopped in the gourmet store to look for a bottle of prepared Colman’s mustard. Didn’t find any.

We went to the neighborhood McDonalds, but as we were about to order I noticed that it was very stuffy in there, so we turned around and left to go to another McDonalds.

I got a large iced tea and Sheri got a small ice cream and we read the paper for about an hour. I also called Mom to check in. Shawn was there and I talked to him for about five minutes. When Mom told him that Uncle Brad was on the phone the 3.5 year old said “You’re kidding me!” What a little man.

We were about to go home, but I got the urge to walk through the Best Buy next store. Didn’t buy anything, but was really tempted to buy a $1,000 Toshiba laptop that was on sale for only $700. The sale ends today, but I think we will see similar sales between now and Christmas. We think this will be what we get ourselves for Christmas this year.

My plan was to come home, rest for a little bit, and then cut the grass. I ended up napping for a couple of hours instead. It was too warm to cut the grass anyway, and tomorrow will be cooler.

I took a shower and that brings me to right now, downstairs on the couch, typing this.

I have a few others things I have been meaning to post about: our trip to the Mall of America, my thoughts on George W. Bush and John Kerry, our dinner last night, and a few other random thoughts that have been going through my head.

This entry has 793 words.

No comments: