My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, October 02, 2004


Currently my favorite food/cooking show is Good Eats on the Food Network, starring Alton Brown.

A couple weeks ago he had a show about how to make soup stock with a pressure cooker. He said you can get an extremely flavorful stock in only 45 minutes in a pressure cooker rather then four or five hours simmering in a traditional pot.

I am trying it right now with chicken. After only 20 minutes the aroma in my kitchen is just amazing! I mostly smell the chicken and onions, with the garlic and parsley a close second. I also put in some carrot, celery, a turnip, salt, and black pepper.

When it is done I am going to pour everything through a colander lined with cheese cloth. After letting it drip through for a few minutes I will take my waterproof silicon oven mitt and squeeze as much of the remaining juices from the bones, chicken, and vegetable mush left behind. Whether I will try to put some of the meat into the stock will depend on the meat's condition. I think it might be just a stringy mess, but that means that it has given up all of its flavor.

I am going to then make some matzo balls to go with it. Mmmmm...

No comments: