My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, November 22, 2004

On Sunday I made 3.5 pounds of bread dough, let it rise twice, and then formed them into a dozen 4.6 ounce rolls (quarter pounders!), and stuck them in the freezer.

On Thanksgiving Day all I will have to do is remove them from the freezer and place on a cookie sheet to thaw and rise. I think that should only take about two hours, and then bake them for 15 minutes or so, and voila, my famous fresh bread.

I normally don't add sugar to my bread, but since my little yeasticles will be cold during their final rise, I added two tablespoons to give them a little life.

I had about three ounces of dough left over, so I made a roll and baked it in our toaster oven. Turned out great. I haven't made my hard rolls since I became diabetic. I haven't lost my touch if I do say so myself. Even in the toaster oven it was very good. Crunchy crust. Chewy center. Of course I used King Arthur flour. My favorite.

I don't really use a recipe. I put three cups of COLD water in my Kitchen Aid mixer, 1 tablespoon of yeast, and 1.5 tablespoons of kosher salt. I then turn on the mixer with the mixing paddle and start adding flour until it gets too stiff to mix. This takes about 6 cups worth.

I then take out the paddle and insert the dough hook. I start it up and keep adding flour until it looks right and the dough "walks" around the bowl. That's it! I will let it rise a couple of times and then form it into loaves, rolls, pizza dough, etc.

Using cold-water means it takes much longer to rise, but the taste, texture, and crust is much much better. Very similar to sour dough but without the sourness.

No comments: