My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Day Off

I didn't sleep very much last night, and I didn't have anything going on at work today, so I decided to stay home. I have been pretty productive too.

I did the final review of our taxes and then submitted them on-line.

On our home network we have been having problems with the shared printer that is hanging off of our Windows 98 machine. Our other machine runs Windows XP Professional and XP handles shared network resources better, so I thought hanging it off of the XP machine might clear up some problems. It seems to be working better and I learned some neat things.

At a professionally administered network you can browse all of the shared printers on the network, double click on the one you want to use and the drivers will automatically be installed to your PC and the printer will be ready to use.

After I installed the printer on the XP machine I went to the sharing tab and noticed a button called "Additional Drivers". I clicked it and what it lets you do is specify where the printer drivers are for different operating systems that might want to use the shared printer, just like on a professionally administered network. So I went out to the HP website and found the Windows 98 printer driver for our printer, downloaded it to our XP machine, and then pointed to it using the button I just mentioned. Then I went to the Windows 98 machine, pointed to the printer on the XP machine, and lo and behold, the printer drivers installed all by themselves!

I have been itching to go for a bike ride, and I couldn't wait for warmer weather any longer, so I bundled up and went for about a 3.5 mile ride. The first half of the ride was into the wind and mostly up-hill. My ears and face were hurting a little bit at my turn-around point. Coming back I had the wind mostly to my back, but even though I had lined leather gloves on, my fingers started to hurt from the cold. Heavy breathing of the cold air also hurt a little bit, but not too bad. I needed about 5 minutes on the couch to recover, but I feel pretty good now. I went about 3.4 miles in about 25 minutes, which means I was averaging about 8 mph. I can feel it in my thighs, and it feels good. I think I will like doing this.

No comments: