My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Our Weekend

Friday
I stopped at my boss's house after work and picked up his dog. We are watching him for a week while they are out of town.

I brought him home and we spent a little bit of time getting him acclimated to the house (he has been here before) and then we went to the fish fry at the local VFW. It was good, but not as good as the ones that Mom and Dad go to. The fish was good, but probably came into the building already battered and frozen. It also would have been better if it was cooked in smaller batches and continually brought out to the buffet fresh and hot. Over all it was good, though, and it was fun to see all of the old veterans. It was $9 for all you could eat of:

Perch
Cod
Chicken nuggets
Fried chicken (very good. better than the fish)
Eggs and peppers (This is a Chicago thing. Some restaurants you can get it as a sandwich on a bratwurst bun)
Green beans
Romaine lettuce salad
Hard rolls
Soda pop
Coffee
Cookies and brownies

We came home and watched I Heart Huckabees. I wanted to like it, and it seemed just quirky enough for me to like, but I just couldn't get into it, and fell asleep. I can't recommend it.

Saturday
We had a couple of minor tune-up type problems with our bikes, so we took them back to the dealer Saturday morning. On my bike I couldn't shift the chain onto the smallest front sprocket, and on Sheri's bike the chain fell off on her maiden voyage. (I was able to put it back on with just my hands.) Both were simple and just took him a couple minutes each.

We brought the bikes home and then went to our coffee place for a couple of hours to hang out. My new favorite drink is called a shot in the dark. Some places also call it a depth charge, a redeye, or a hammerhead. At first it sounds like a novelty drink or a college dare, but it is really good. It is very simply a shot of espresso stirred into a cup of regular drip coffee. I like mine with a good amount of skim milk. The reason I like it is that it lasts longer than a cappuccino, not as strong as a straight shot of espresso, and has more body than just a cup of coffee. Usually too much of a cappuccino is foam. If I order it wet there is too much milk. With the shot in the dark I order it "with room" and then can control exactly how much milk I want.

We then went to Trader Joes for guacamole ingredients and then Bobak's because I had a craving for their fresh pickles.

Saturday night we ate some guacamole and watched The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. I also wanted to like it, but I guess I just don't find SpongeBob all the funny. I think I fell asleep.

Sunday
We decided to go for a little road trip to Plano, IL for something different. They have a Super Wal-Mart there, so we knocked out a couple of errands with one stop. We had a little snack in their in-store snack bar. We bought a couple of locks for our bikes. On the way back we got a car wash in Yorkville and gas in Oswego.

We watched King Arthur that evening and really liked it. If I understand correctly, the movie tries to show the real Arthur behind the legend of King Arthur. Some things I didn’t know: Arthur fought for the Roman's. The Saxons (who were Germanic) kicked the Roman's out of Briton as they moved south. The Angels were the Saxon's neighbors. They joined up and, voila, the Anglo-Saxons. The movie is set around 300 CE, whereas the King Arthur of legend is usually depicted around 450 CE. We both enjoyed it. Some good fight scenes too. Give it a try.

No comments: