My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

I am on my own again today (Sunday) while Sheri and Addy take the train into the city for the day. Addy has a couple zones of jet lag to deal with so Sheri is going to let her wake up on her own and then go into the city.

I woke up before both of them so I thought I would go out someplace to read the paper. In the back of my head I vaguely recalled seeing a Wi-Fi sign in our nearby Burger King, but maybe I was thinking of something else. Oh well, if they do great. If not I have the Sunday paper to spend a couple hours with.

As I walk into the restaurant I am scanning all of the walls and windows for "Wi-Fi Here!" signs. Nothing. While I am waiting for my order I am looking around for signs. Nothing. As I am carrying my tray to a table I see one poster tucked in the corner of the restaurant that says "Free Wireless Hot Spot". Yeah! But the sign is facing inside the restaurant, not outside to the rest of the world, and it is obscured by two ceiling-height partitions. You can only see the sign if you stand in very specific parts of the dining room. So it either means a) they don't really want too many people to know they have Wi-Fi, or b) who ever was in charge of promoting this store's Wi-Fi wasn't thinking too much or doesn't think it is an important selling point. Whatever, I am thrilled. It is much closer than our normal Panera Wi-Fi hangout. (A 1.5 mile drive versus a 4.5 mile drive.)

Another nice thing is that this Burger King does not get much traffic so it's like I have my own personal office, and my favorite both has a nice east-facing view, so I don't get much glare, and it has ceiling-high partitions on both sides so it is like a private office. Right now I am the only person in here at 9:30 AM, and they have some acceptable background pop music playing. The next time I stop in I will bring the camera and take a picture of the hidden Wi-Fi sign and my favorite booth to show you.

The one thing that I don't like is I don't see any electrical outlets to keep my laptop going. All of the booths have a light fixture about three feet above the table. I could buy one of those outlet adapters and just unscrew the light bulb and screw in the adapter while I am here. I am way back in the corner out of sight of the counter and hidden by a partition. I think that will work. I am going to swing by the hardware store on the way home and keep the adapter in my laptop bag. Yeah!

I had a bacon, egg, cheese, biscuit breakfast sandwich and a large soda. They also have a sign up announcing they are serving chili again. It is not as good as Wendy's, but pretty good, and sometimes I actually feel like eating Burger King's chili rather than Wendy's. I was upset when I ordered it this summer and they didn't have it. Maybe it is a seasonal thing for Burger King. A small chili, a plain hamburger, and a soda is not a bad meal for me.

I was looking for a cover for our outside air conditioning unit yesterday at Menard's and Wal-Mart but they didn't have one big enough for ours. It is 48" wide and the biggest cover I could find was 36" wide. Maybe I will stop by Ace Hardware after I leave Burger King and see what they have while I pick up the light socket electric outlet adapter.

I turned on the heat yesterday to take a little bit of the edge off for California Addy (even though San Francisco gets pretty cool at night I think) but now I am glad I did it for me. When I woke up this morning it was 34ยบ outside! Maybe I will put up the storm door today and close all of the storm windows today.

No comments: