My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, March 06, 2006

I stopped by the Post Office today during my lunch hour. There was one person in front of me and two behind me. A little old lady that could barely walk and had a walker and a bunch of stuff falling out from under her arms was about to try and go through a door. With as much difficulty as she was having just staying vertical I knew there was no way she was going to get through the door on her own.

I said excuse me and squeezed past the guy in front of me and opened the door for the lady. She thanked me and then asked if I could also get the two vestibule doors. I walked ahead and got the door and patiently waited while she shuffled her way to me. Then I opened the second vestibule door and waited while she did some more shuffling and listened to her complain about how she has complained before about the handicapped buttons not working on the doors but they never do anything.

As I walked back in I was trying to decide if I was going to ask for my place back in line or just go back to the end. I decided I was not in a hurry and didn't feel like explaining myself so I just made my way to the end of the line. The grandma that was behind me in line smiled at me and told me to take my place back in line in front of her. She said it was so nice what I did.

When it was my turn to walk up to a clerk the first thing he said in kind of a snotty tone was "Did you just cut in front of all those people waiting in line?" Crap. "I was in line but the old lady you were helping was trying…" then the grandma behind me piped in and stood up for me. The clerk didn't say anything else to me during the rest of my transaction. No good deed goes unpunished.

No comments: