My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

The shish kabob turned out excellent! Better than I expected. Before we left the house this morning around 10 AM I cubed the steak into bite-size pieces and put them into a bowl of teriyaki to marinate.

When we got home at 1:30 PM I cleaned the mushrooms, but them in half and let them marinate in teriyaki for a bit. Mushrooms are very absorbent so I only let them marinate for 10 – 15 minutes.

After I got the mushrooms going I cleaned and quartered two large sweet onions. Actually they were so big I cut actually cut the onion into sixths. I skewered these without marinating, but the next time I would let them sit in teriyaki for a bit. The salt would have helped to break down the cell structure a bit and make them more tender.

At this point I started the grill, and then skewered the mushrooms and then the sirloin cubes.

The mushrooms and beef were cooked perfectly. The onion was sweet and little smoky/charred tasting, but I would have liked it just a little softer. It was still good though.

Of the three we both liked the beef the best. I expected Sheri to like the mushrooms the best, but the meat was really really good. I think the secret was the small size of the cubes. Because they were small I didn't have to cook them very long. I have had kabobs that were cut too large and they get dried out because you have to cook it too long to get the centers done.

The sirloin we got was normally around $9 per pound, but it had a sell-by date of today so it was only $4 per pound. It was a great piece of meat.

I don't know why but I have never prepared kabobs before. This is great summer food. Easy and quick to prepare. Light. It doesn't heat up the kitchen. Low carb high protein. Lean. Delicious. What more could you want?

We are going to keep an eye on the butcher shop and whenever they have sirloin on special pick some up and make kabobs.

That is going to be our main meal of the day. We have a few ears of corn and some peaches for later on tonight when we get hungry.

The outside thermometer says 92 degrees right now, but we have the blinds on the south side of the house closed and with a fan on it is fairly comfortable. No air conditioning yet, but I don't know how long that will last.

No comments: