My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, May 01, 2006

I like keeping Kashi Go Lean bars on hand at work because they are high in protein (one bar has 20% RDA), high in fiber (24% RDA), and its carbohydrates have a low glycemic index, which means your body slowly converts it to blood sugar rather than giving you a huge spike all at once.

Anyway, some of the flavors have a nougat-like center that is very very firm, to the point of hurting your teeth and tiring out your jaw. I had the idea to microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up.

I tossed it into the microwave and pressed the start button. After just two seconds the inside of the microwave was filled with bright sparks. I forgot the inside of the wrapper is metallic. I opened the microwave door and the wrapper and shrink-wrapped itself tightly to the bar. I guess the metallic part heated up quickly and caused the plastic part of the wrapper to melt and shrink. I looked really cool though.

I pried the wrapper off and put it back in the microwave by itself for an additional 10 seconds. It worked great. The inside was much easier to bite off. I think that is what I will do with them from now on.

No comments: