My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Thursday, May 01, 2003

There is a fried chicken place in Chicago called Harold's Chicken Shack. People love it! We even heard someone say if they had Harold's in south Chicago that they would make a fortune. (They are only in the Loop.)

I think it's good, but not "to die for" good. They do have some of the best chicken livers I have ever had, though. Anyway, their logo cracks me up. (I scanned it from one of their bags.) I guess that is Harold wearing a crown and robe chasing after one of his famous chickens with an axe. Isn't a logo supposed to make you crave their product? This one just makes me feel sorry for the chicken.


Because it is fried chicken, I don't make it a habit to go their all the time. Actually I have been there only three times. The first was on a Friday during Lent, so I had their fish. I forgot what kind it was, but it was good, except for the bones. Too many bones for me.

The second time I tried the chicken. And the last time I had the chicken livers. A HUGE portion. When I go back that is what I will get. Only as a special treat though.

My favorite chicken place in the Loop is called Chicken Planet. They grill their chicken on an open flame. Their grill is about 20 feet long, and at lunch time the entire grill is covered with whole split chickens. They marinate the chicken, so it is very juicy and seasoned just right. I can really only identify garlic and salt. You order either a ¼, ½, or a whole chicken, and one side or two. Their only sides are mashed, seasoned rice, coleslaw, and I think beans. Every order comes with a piece of grilled pita bread and a little plastic cup of homemade salsa. The last time I went I got a whole chicken, but no sides. When you order, the grill guy plucks a bird from the grill and tosses it on a big cutting block. With a big heavy cleaver he deftly makes a few whacks and then tosses your pieces into a Styrofoam take-out clamshell. Mmmmmm..... and cheap prices.

No comments: