My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, February 16, 2004

I am considering this as my birthday present this year. (The i500 is pictured. I actually want the i2600.)

My current scale has a capacity of about 2 pounds and a resolution of 2.8 grams (0.1 ounces).

The i2600 has a capacity of about 5.75 pounds and a resolution of 0.1 grams (0.004 ounces), which means it has over 28 times the resolution of my current scale!

There is another scale I am looking at that has a greater capacity (11 pounds) but the resolution is only 1.0 grams (0.035 ounces). This is still an improvement in resolution over my current scale of almost three times, but I think I am still leaning towards the first more accurate one.

What do I use a scale for? Mostly cooking and recipe conversions. For instance, Sheri's protein powder has directions of 34 grams of mix to eight ounces of water. She can only drink three ounces of liquid at a time right now, so we need to be able to measure 0.449 ounces of mix. With my current scale only measuring to the nearest 0.1 ounce you can see the problem.

I also depend on my scale a lot for soap making. Especially when measuring lye. The measurements for lye are given in grams. I can currently only measure to the nearest 2.8 grams! Yikes. Working with lye is scary stuff. I wear long sleeves, leather welder's gloves with gauntlets, and a full plastic face shield when I add the lye to the water. The temperature of the water immediately gets over 200ยบ when I mix the two together.

Occasionally measuring postage.

These scales have a count feature. You weigh a sample of parts. Tell it how many are in the sample, and then add all of the parts you want to count and it tells you how many you have. Not something I have a pressing need for, but very cool. How many pennies do I have in my change bucket?

No comments: