My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, February 22, 2004

I had my coat on and was ready to go to the hardware store to get some PVC cement, or something, to fix the sump pump drain hose that you saw in the video I posted earlier this afternoon, when an idea popped into my head.

I pressed the hose onto the pipe as firmly as I could. Then I took my cordless drill and my 5/64" bit and drilled a small pin hole through the PVC collar on the hose and into the pipe coming out of the house. Then I just took a small finishing nail and slid it right into the hole. Voila! It will stay on until the nail rusts. The nail is coated in a black finish which should retard rust for a little while, but it will last long enough until it warms up and I can make a permanent fix.

I like the idea of using a set pin so much that I might even look for a brass set pin, and then rather than use PVC cement, look for some marine silicone caulk. I would just push the brass pin in and then squirt caulk over the pin and where the two pipe edges meet. It should be just as water-tight as a PVC cement connection, but easier to take apart if I have to replace anything in the future.

No comments: