My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Sheri and I had a fun night. As soon as I got home we went to dinner at Taco Bell. Sheri took along a bottle of drinkable yogurt. She also had half-of-a-pencil-eraser sized bite of taco meat and some refried beans.

After that we went to Meijer with the main purpose of getting her out of the house and exercising her legs. She has not been out of the house since Friday afternoon when I brought her home from the hospital.

We took our time and wandered. I got a bunch of stuff for packing my lunch. Laundry detergent. Tissues. Toothpaste. Light cranberry juice.

By the time we were done Sheri felt tired in a good way.

She was also able to log eight hours of work time today too! That is making it easier for her to stay in the loop at work, as well as conserving her vacation and sick days.

I am looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow. (I have classes on Tuesdays.) We covered something in class today that I think I will be able to use in a project at work. I need to find a new optimized location for a salt depot. The short explanation is that I am going to assign a value for every point along all 308 miles of county road that represents how well served it is by the existing four salt depots. I will then feed this into a utility that will turn the scores into a three dimensional surface. It will look just like a topographical relief map, but instead of the peaks and valleys representing elevation, they will represent the nearness of salt. I am also going to weight each score by how many lanes each point has. A six lane road that is five miles from a salt depot road will have a higher score than a two lane section of road that is also five miles from a salt depot. If is was just between these two road segments then, I would locate the new depot closer to the six lane road.

No comments: