My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Had my three month diabetic doctor visit this morning. No protein or glucose in my urine. Good.

The gold standard test for diabetics is called the hemoglobin A1c. Currently the target for diabetics is to be under 7. My last test was 6.7. He told me today that the new standard coming out is to be 6.5 or under, so I have a little work to do there.

He also said the new standards for diabetics call for very aggressive treatment of blood pressure. He said if I were not a diabetic my blood pressure would great, but to avoid complications and heart disease, I have to get my bp even lower.

I think losing just a little weight by exercising more will take care of both the bp and get my A1c below 6.5. I have found that exercise makes a bigger difference in my blood sugar level than what I eat.

The pH of my urine was 5.5. This isn't a particularly important piece of information, I just thought you might like to know.

No comments: