My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, April 16, 2004

I got choked up twice this morning on the way to work thinking about Goliath.

The first time I was remembering when we were in the vet's office to euthanize him and I positioned him and then held his head while the nurse gave him the shot that made him unconscious. Over the ten years that we had him we developed a repoire(sp) between us. Just by the way I would subtly tap my thigh, make a sound, or put pressure on a part of his body, he would respond and move in the direction I wanted him to. He always trusted me. My rational side understands, but my emotional side feels like I betrayed his trust.

The second time I got choked up was thinking about the final week or two. He was puffed up from the cancer and lost his energy to play, but he would still follow me from room to room. He didn't really want me to pet him; I think it might have been uncomfortable for him; he just wanted to be near his friend.

I am getting choked up for the third time today.

No comments: