My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

I have been really good for probably the last month not drinking things with caffeine. On the drive to Toledo we made a stop and I was thirsty. A cold bubbly Diet Coke sounded good, but I wasn't going to give in. A cold club soda or sparkling mineral water sounded equally as good, but fat chance of finding either of those at a highway rest stop.

That left me with the option of a bottle of water. It sounded boring and unsatisfying. Then I thought of 7-Up. It is close to sparkling mineral water because it is not as sweet as other soft drinks.

They didn't have 7-Up so I got Diet Sprite. I have never been too crazy for the lemon-lime soft drink category, but I was really thirsty and it hit the spot just right.

That positive experience and the fact that I need to find a replacement for my Diet Cokes let me look at the diet lemon-limes in a new light. For some reason I don't find the caffeine free diet colas as satisfying. It is probably in my head, but I just don't get as much enjoyment from them. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I had several lemon-limes and some cranberry ginger ale. I enjoyed all of them quite a bit.

Fast forward to today. We went to Meijer for a little grocery shopping. I noticed some different looking Fresca bottles next to the regular Fresca bottles. Fresca is a diet grapefruit soda that I have always liked, but I go in cycles with it. Anyway, the new bottles were two new flavors. One was peach-citrus and the other was black cherry-citrus. We opened up the peach one tonight and we both love it. The grapefruit is the dominant taste while you are drinking it, and then you are left with a nice fuzzy peach aftertaste. We will be getting the peach Fresca again. I will let you know how the black cherry Fresca is when we try it.

No comments: