My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

A study was done that shows caffeine consumption reduces a diabetic's sensitivity to insulin by up to 37%!

It reduces a non-diabetic's sensitivity to insulin almost as much; between 23% and 33%.

This is of concern for weight loss and weight maintenance because of the following scenario:

1. You have a cup of coffee or some soda.
2. Your cells cannot use insulin as efficiently to absorb glucose from your blood for a while.
3. Your blood sugar spikes.
4. Your body senses this and dumps extra insulin into your blood to get rid of the sugar.
5. The large load of insulin causes your blood sugar to drop too low.
6. Your body thinks it is hungry and needs food so you go and get a snack, thus adding more calories.

I have stopped drinking beverages with caffeine in them completely for about two weeks now. With this information there is no way I can enjoy a regular cup of coffee or regular Diet Coke anymore. I will occasionally have iced tea, but not the gallons I used to drink.

Hopefully this will let me drop a few more pounds too.

No comments: