My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, December 30, 2005

All new employees have to go through a pre-employment drug screening and a background check by the state police.

Yesterday I spent about four hours filling out paper work, watching sexual harassment and workplace policy videos, and meeting some people. For the background check they have a big kiosk near the security office. A guy first types in all of my information; name, Social Security number, driver's license number, height, weight, eye color, address, etc. Then he takes my fingerprints electronically. There is a little piece of glass where he places my fingers just like with the traditional ink and paper method, but it somehow scans my print without ink.

After all of that is entered he sends it electronically to Springfield, IL where they perform all of the background checks. He said it normally takes between 48 hours and two weeks.

I got a call from HR this morning telling me that my background check came back clean before I left the building yesterday!

They also said the drug screening normally takes 48 to 72 hours but they already received the all-clear for that this morning.

No comments: