My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Yesterday (Saturday) I woke up with a craving for pork and sauerkraut. During our morning errands we picked up a couple pounds of boneless country ribs and and a jar of Bobak's sauerkraut. By the time we got home it was too late to start it cooking in the crock pot because it would not have been ready until 10 PM.

This morning at 8:30 AM before I went out to shovel the snow that fell overnight I put half the bottle of sauerkraut in the crock pot, then the country ribs, then a large russet potato cut in half lengthwise, and finally the rest of the sauerkraut, and turned it on low.

After 8 hours, at 4 PM, we had it for our early dinner. It was good but the meat would have been better if it was cooked an hour or two less. I'll know better next time.

Sheri liked all of it and ate a good amount of the pork. I never cooked country ribs before but I was happy with them and will use them again.

I love Bobak's sauerkraut. It is imported from Poland and has no vinegar listed on the ingredient list which is a good thing because it means they use brine which has much better flavor. The unusual thing about their sauerkraut is the way it is packed in the jar. They cram it in the jar so firmly it is almost like they force it in with a piston. There is almost no juice; it is all sauerkraut. It is packed so tightly I have to be careful I don't bend the fork as I pry it out of the jar. To top it off the two pound jar is only $1.50! The only sauerkraut that is better is the fresh kraut they have in the barrels in the back of the store.

3 comments:

Tim said...

I have found the opposite to be true - if you don't leave the meat in the crock pot LONG enough, it will be too hard. The longer you cook it, the softer it makes it....

Brad said...

Oh, the meat was very tender. It just fell apart. But it had cooked so long that I think to many of the natural juices cooked out of it. The closest thing I can compare it to is how meat tastes that has been used to make soup. It is tender, but all of the flavor has transferred to the soup stock and is no longer in the meat.

Tim said...

Yes, that is true....I thought you meant that the meat was hard. Yes, cooking it for too long does suck the flavor out of it. I have crok pot meals planned for every night this week!