My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

We decided to take a break from Burger King and go to Panera for our weekend breakfast routine this morning. I think their brewed coffee is bad, but the do a pretty good job on their espresso.

I ordered my usual exactly like this: a small decaf triple Americano. She didn't flinch and punched some buttons on the cash register. She got our food and Sheri took it to find a table while she finished my coffee. She came up to me after a minute and asked "What exactly is in an Americano." "Three shots of espresso and hot water in a small cup." "Oh."

That got me to wondering if she charged me correctly. I looked at my receipt and she rung me up for a latte for $2.89. That is almost a dollar more than I pay at Starbucks for the same thing.

When she gave me my drink I said I think she overcharged me. The menu says a shot of espresso is $1.29 and each additional shot is $0.39, so it should have been about $2.00. "Do you want me to have the manager ring up a refund." "Sure, but take your time. I am going to go sit down."

About five minutes later she came out and said her manager said it would only be cents difference. That when he rang it up it came out to something like $2.70. "Really? I though the menu said it was $1.29 for the initial shot and each additional shot was $0.39." She said something like "Really?" and that she would go ask her manager again.

At this point I didn't really care anymore. It wasn't worth the $0.80 and just expected her to come back and say something like a double shot is $2.50 and you only get one additional shot for $0.39 or something like that.

She came back with my full $2.89 and an apology and said I was right, but that they didn't have the buttons setup on the cash register to ring it up like that. Cool!

Last night after dinner we went to Meijer to pick up a few things. This Meijer has a Starbucks up front so I ordered my usual. I took my first sip and it obviously only had two shots. She misheard my order and rung me up for only two shots, so she remade my drink the correct way. I've scored four free shots of espresso in the last 12 hours!

No comments: