My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

I was going to write about the nice day we had yesterday for Sheri's birthday weekend, and the great lunch we had today at a new restaurant we tried, but instead I am going to write about something else.

We went in the basement (because it is too cold to go outside) so Sheri could try out her new inline skates she got for her birthday, and we discovered a good amount of water along the back wall.

I would not classify it as "flooded" though, and I am not sure where it came from. Right now I would say there is probably only five gallons of standing water down there. There also wasn't that much stuff where the water is. There were some old family pictures from Sheri's family that probably got the worst of it. Everything else that got wet is either waterproof (plastic items) or it was just junk anyway.

I opened up the two vents down there and turned on the furnace fan to air it out, and I brought a box fan down to help evaporate the standing water.

So all in all very little to zero damage, but now I have to figure out where the water came in from. The sump is dry. I don't see any wet marks on the walls. The water heater area is dry, as is the furnace.

The water is away from the wall for the most part. The one thing that keeps going through my mind is that it came up through the drain in the middle of the floor. Maybe a drain pipe collapsed and when we had the heavy rain on Friday some of it bubbled in. Grrrr…..

I am going to change into my gym shorts and a t-shirt now and peddle off some of the birthday cake and other goodies I ate this weekend.

No comments: