My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Last weekend I was flipping through the channels and stopped on some cooking show on PBS with a title like "Easy Everyday Cooking" or something like that. They would rotate through about a half dozen different chefs. Each chef would have five minutes or so to prepare one dish.

The one that caught my attention were meringue cookies. There were only five ingredients and it took a matter of minutes to go from cracking eggs to sliding the cookie sheet in the oven. We didn't have cream of tartar or vanilla, so we picked that up last weekend.

Tonight after work and before we watched a movie the two of us whipped up a batch meringue cookies and they were delicious! Super easy.

Into the mixing bowl I added:

Two egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

I turned the mixer on high and whipped until I just started to get firm peaks. (That sounds dirty.) Then I had Sheri add one tablespoon at a time:

¾ cups sugar

When she was done with that I added:

1 teaspoon vanilla

That's it!

I spooned out dollops of the mixture onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and then baked them at 300 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes. When they come out of the oven they are soft, but after they cool they get a really nice crunchy texture. They literally melt in your mouth.

We are going to experiment with less sugar. Maybe we will try only a ½ cup of sugar next time. It is tough to tell from the pictures but they turned out with a beautiful light brown/blonde color.









No comments: