My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

This morning we were getting ready to leave the house for our typical breakfast and reading time. I was not taking the laptop so we were not tied to Burger King, Panera, or Elan, and Sheri was in the mood for an Egg McMuffin, so that is where we were heading. I was thinking about what I was going to order. They do not have any caffeine free diet sodas, so it would have either been water or their decaf coffee. I am not crazy about their coffee, and especially their decaf coffee, but sipping on a hot cup of coffee sounded really good while I read the new book I am starting. I had an "a hah" moment and boiled water in our new electric kettle. While that was heating up I ground the coffee beans and poured that into our French press. While I was doing this I told Sheri to get the newspaper and start the car up. Through the magic of the electric kettle the water was boiling in less than two minutes. I poured the water into the press and grabbed a large travel coffee mug and took both into the car. By the time we got to the McDonalds I pushed the plunger down and poured the coffee into my mug and took it into the restaurant. I could enjoy my own freshly brewed-only-seconds-ago coffee and not have to drink their swill.

After breakfast we went to Whole Foods to pick up a few things. We ended up with a couple different raw-milk cheeses (a cheddar and an emmental), a pound of Intelligentsia Black Cat blend espresso coffee beans, and a frozen pizza.

It was also sample-Saturday so we almost had a meal just on samples. Lots of good fruit, cod, cheeses, dips, baked goods, olives, chicken, Asian slaw, and other stuff I can't remember.

As we were checking-out I noticed the masseuse in the dining area and decided I wanted one. It has been years since I have had a massage, and with my back being sore all last week it sounded especially good. It was just a chair massage and it was only 15 minutes, but it felt really good. Because you have to leave your clothes on (well there was no sign saying I had to leave them on, but…) she can't manipulate the deep muscles as effectively through fabric as she can with oiled fingers on skin. But it was still wonderful. It was the typical $1 per minute.

We also stopped at Trader Joes to get a few things that were overpriced at Whole Foods.

We came home and both took and unplanned and unexpected hard deep nap for at least a couple hours. I think it was the prior week still catching up with us.

When I woke up I went downstairs and made a batch of hummus for dinner.

We are getting ready to watch Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Sheri has been giddy to watch it ever since we were notified that Blockbuster was shipping it from our queue a couple days ago.

No comments: