My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, January 26, 2004

I forgot to put on my watch today. I hate when I do that. I feel naked.

I figured out how to take the northing and easting coordinates from two points and use the Pythagorean theorem (A2 + B2 = C2) to calculate the distance between the points.

There is a measure tool in the software that lets you click on two points and it will tell you the distance, but you could be off by several feet of clicking on the true location of the points.

The problem with just using the Pythagorean theorem is that it only uses XY data (two dimensional) and assumes the two points are both at the same elevation. Imagine that the two points are on a 45° hill. Looking at them from overhead the distance will appear shorter than if you actually took a tape measure on the ground and measured between the two points. My next goal is to figure out how to incorporate the Z plane (vertical data) to get a true distance between two points.

No comments: