My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, January 18, 2004

It was announced on Saturday that a huge British archive of World War II era aerial reconnaissance photos, including pictures of the D-Day landings in Normandy, is to go on the Internet on Monday (1/19/04).

Under the digitalization project, some 5 million Royal Air Force photos of Western Europe will be available to the public on the Web site www.evidenceincamera.co.uk.

I might tinker with importing the photos into my GIS software and georeference them to their accurate positions. To do this I have to identify the latitude and longitude for at least three points on a photograph. I tell the software what the coordinates are for each point, and then it will position the photo correctly. It will also stretch and rotate the photo if necessary to make it fit correctly. I can do that with an unlimited number of photos. This would let me pan around Western Europe, zoom in, zoom out, and see the geographic relationships between the various photos.

The concentration camp at Auschwitz in Poland.

No comments: