My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

After I dropped Sheri off at the train station I came home and ended up taking a nap with Mitch for an hour or so. We woke up and went to PetSmart. Lots of fun! He is definitely an attention getter. If only I had him back in college. We weren't 20 feet from the car walking in when a woman stopped to say hi. At our first stop, chew toys, within 1 minute a cute employee asked if I needed help with anything. First of all, I don't think I have ever been asked if I need help with anything at PetSmart. Second, who needs help with chew toys? Then a dad with his wife and family had a few questions for me.

He LOVES the guinea pig display. There are glass cages right at his eye level and I think it was like greyhound TV for him. He just wanted to stand there and watch. He knew there was glass in front so he didn't try to lunge and hurt himself, but every time the guinea pig moved he would tense up and change his stance like he was getting ready to lunge. That made me laugh out loud a few times.

(I just now had to scold him for starting to chew the box my Canon 30D came in so I ran downstairs and got the chicken flavored Nylabone we picked out tonight. He likes it.)

We also got a place matt with a raised edge to contain water splashes from his bowl because he is a very sloppy drinker, some coal tar shampoo, and a tag with his name, our address and phone number.

One passerby commented on how well behaved he was and another clerk commented on how well he was doing on the smooth floor. She said her friend has a greyhound and gets freaked out when his feet slide on smooth floors so he just gets stiff and freezes in place.

He has been a working dog his whole life and a lot of the time his personality is best described as serious. There have been a few times where he loses himself and frolics for a minute on his back, but then it is back to being serious. Not too much tail wagging. Doesn't seem to have ever played tug-o-war before. But I have noticed a slight change between last night and tonight. I got a wag as we were going out to the backyard for the last time tonight. The fosters said last night a lot of times adopted greyhounds will have a personality change after 1 week or 1 month. I forgot which. Last night I just thought yeah whatever, but now I think I can see what she is talking about. He has never had any people to play with him. It was always business, and I guess he has to learn how to relax and play a little bit. He loves to be pet though. He will stand motionless for as long as you want to scratch his head. He is also can't help himself when he hears a squeak toy or sees a ball rolling across the floor.

I missed having Goliath follow me from room to room and I am glad to see that Mitch does the same thing.





He is still nervous on the steps but I think he gets a little more confidence on each trip.




I planned on grilling my sausage tonight, but it was too cold out, and I felt cold, so I just cooked it in a pan on the stove. I cooked up the pound of Lithuanian sausage I got and ate it with some of their homemade sauerkraut. I made some fat free sugar free instant banana cream pudding for desert.

The Dukes of Hazzard movie was just what I thought it would be: stupid fun humor. When I was a kid I looked forward to watching the Dukes on Friday night and making popcorn or eating cheesy poofs. It kind of brought back good memories tonight from back then.

No major plans for tomorrow. Finally complete the forms for my camera rebate. Read the paper. Pick Sheri up at the train station. I should clean out the fish tank. Still haven't gotten around to that. I guess mostly just hang out with Mitch and bond some more.

No comments: