My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, December 15, 2006

A big reason I bought my Canon Eos 30D digital SLR rather than a Nikon was that my first camera, which I bought about 15 years ago, was a Canon Eos Elan and I already had a couple of lenses for it. These lenses can be used with my new camera just fine.

When we bought our first digital point-and-shoot camera seven years or so ago my film camera got a lot less use. My SLR took better pictures, but it is just so much cheaper to shoot digitally and get prints of only the really good ones.

Anyway, when my new camera showed up I dug out my old camera to get the lenses. There was a roll of film in the camera, but the battery had been left in for so long that it died and there is no way to tell how many exposures were made. I didn't know if it was an almost full roll or totally unexposed.

I thought it would be fun to take the film in and have it developed but I didn't feel like spending $10 on a special battery just to rewind the film into the canister. I took it into the downstairs windowless bathroom, turned out the lights, and opened it up. I popped out the film canister and slowly pulled the exposed film from the take-up spool. It felt like there was almost the full roll on the spool!

We will take the film to Wal-Mart to be developed tomorrow. I have no idea how old the film is. I don't even know if they are pictures from here or when we lived in Ohio. When you develop film at Wal-Mart they also convert your pictures to digital and let you get them on their website. They let the owner of the account download the full resolution version of the pictures too. I am excited to see what they are.

No comments: