My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Monday Tuesday Morning Update

Sheri messaged my from her cell phone that she made it out to her appointment just in time. She took the train into the city with me this morning, and instead of going to work walked over to the L. She takes that and then transfers to a bus that drops her off right in front of the medical building.

She says that I didn’t need to go with her, but now I wish I had. They are injecting her throat (and larynx?) with novocaine and then doing tests on her larynx. We think they are doing this to see how her larynx is connected to her thyroid so they don’t damage it when they remove her thyroid, or alter the way her voice sounds.
Update: Since I wrote the above paragraph Sheri called and said the throat test was no big deal. They sprayed some bad tasting stuff in her throat to numb it and then looked down her throat with a camera.

She seemed OK this morning, but maybe a little nervous. She has been staying up really late doing mindless stuff on the computer until she gets really tired. That way she can just flop into bed and fall asleep without her mind wandering and thinking about scary stuff.

Depending on how she feels, and how late it is when she gets back into the city from the tests, we talked about meeting for lunch in Union Station. There is a little place that has pretty good bourbon chicken. It doesn’t have an overly sweet syrupy sauce like some places do; and pretty good vegetables as sides.

I hopefully won’t have any writing assignments for class to do over this next weekend, and I just found out that the auto show goes through next Sunday. Maybe we will go and check that out for something fun to do.

I started growing another batch of alfalfa sprouts yesterday.

Our Honey Baked ham is almost gone. All of the sliced portion is gone, I have just been working on the unsliced bottom part that is not as pretty and can’t be used for sandwiches. Tomorrow night I will be done picking on it and it will be ready for the bean soup pot. Mom e-mailed me the recipe that we grew up with. Here it is:

1 lb. dried navy beans
1 meaty ham bone
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small bay leaf
1 cup cubed potatoes
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced carrots

Rinse beans. Place in large soup pot with 2 1/2 quarts. water. Bring to boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand at least 1 hour. Add ham bone, garlic and bay leaf to beans. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Add potatoes, onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper to taste.(I use 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper) Simmer covered for 1 hour. Remove ham bone and cut off meat. Dice and add to soup. Reheat just to boiling. Remove bay leaf and serve.

I think I will use small white beans instead of navy beans. I don’t know why, but I just think Sheri will be more apt to like those instead of the nave beans.
ul>

No comments: