My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, February 10, 2003

New Boss in Town

My new boss is in town today and tomorrow to get to know me and my programmer. He is really nice and I think I will like working for him a lot.

He started out his career as an aeronautical engineer. While he was doing that he also became a licensed pilot and became a flight instructor. After doing that for a while he decided that he couldn't see himself doing that for the rest of his life, so he went back to school for his finance degree and worked in the finance world for a while. I didn't hear what caused the next transition, but he moved into the IT environment, and that is where he is now. He has 14 other people working for him now. I think mostly in Stamford, Connecticut where he is, and Toronto.

He is originally from Georgetown, Guyana. He still has a neat Caribbean accent.

It sounds like he wants me to be more of a project manager and run various projects and direct other programmers rather than be a programmer myself. That is just my initial take on things. He still needs to digest what we are currently responsible for, and where our skill sets will fit in with the rest of his team.

He took us to lunch to a nice restaurant. I had the Thai chicken salad ($11). I really wanted the seared tuna ($19), but I didn't want to overstep any boundaries after only knowing him for 90 minutes.

He wants to have both of us to come to Stamford for a week to get to know the rest of the team. It seems important to him that we feel like part of his team. That is cool.

No comments: