My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Wednesday, December 17, 2003

I want to watch this three-part PBS special about the life of Charles Dickens. It premiers tonight.

This map of London is from the special, and it indicates areas of London that had significance to Dickens' life. [Anything with a map has to be good, right?]

All of this history that happened in London is why I want to visit there again, but this time with greater background knowledge, maturity, and an appreciation of history. London is probably the most important city of western civilization. For example, Dickens is buried at Westminster Abbey, next to Chaucer, Tennyson, and Kipling.

The house is still standing where he lived from 1837 to 1839 and finished writing The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, and Nicholas Nickleby.

I want to see Regents Park too. I learned about it in my Land Use Planning class and why it was such a breakthrough in city planning.

No comments: