My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, December 30, 2003



If you will recall, Sheri got this great clock, that I was lusting after, for my birthday this year. They took the guts from one of the original digital flip clocks from the 1970's, and put it on this industrial looking stand, and also converted it to use two "C" batteries instead of plugging into a wall outlet.

It looks great, but it ate through a set of batteries in about four weeks. Not only is that and expensive proposition, but you can never rely on it because you always wonder if the batteries are low or not. It goes through the batteries so fast because there is a little motor in there that is constantly turning.

It is too expensive of a clock to just put away, so I went to Radio Shack and bought some stuff to run it from an outlet rather than batteries.
The first thing was the power converter block. A "C" battery provides 1.5 volts, so I needed a 3 volt converter because the clock uses two batteries.
The connectors on their converters are all the same and accept the plug that is pictured in the top of this picture. They have a bunch of different plugs you can buy to plug into the converters so you could use the same converter to power just about anything; cell phones, boom box, etc.

Since the clock doesn’t have any kind of plug, I got an adaptor that just had two bare wires on the other end.
I took the two bare wires and attached them to a couple of alligator clips. I sealed the connection with a little liquid electrical tape.

Then all I had to do was clip the negative clip to the negative contact on the clock, and the positive clip to the positive contact on the clock. It works perfectly!
I tried taking a picture of the finished result, but all of the pictures were either too blurry or too small to show any detail.

No comments: