My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, December 20, 2003

Sheri is feeling miserable from her cold, so we went out for comfort food tonight at the nearby Indian restaurant. She had the lamb curry again, and I had the lamb masala. Both were excellent.

Both dishes comes with a bowl of rice, a basket of naan (Indian flat bread), one poppadum (crispy wafer made from chick peas), and five sides.

One of the sides was a dessert called rasgulla. These are small balls made of fresh cheese that are steamed and then soaked in sugar-water flavored with rose essence. It sounds weird, but when Mom and Dad came to visit and I took them to an Indian buffet, even though Dad was stuffed from the meal, I think he went back for seconds and thirds of the rasgulla. I never would have guessed they are made from cheese. It seems more like a dense doughnut.

The other sides were:
• Spicy lentil soup (believe it or not, Sheri's favorite!)
• A savory cauliflower and potato dish. My favorite.
• Cucumber raita (a nice cooling and rich yogurt sauce)
• Another dish that I am not quite sure what it was, but it had a good amount of garlic, and was probably something like eggplant or beans in a food processor. Very good.

Indian food is the best comfort food in the world. Sheri was in a noticeably better mood when we left. Smiling and laughing. She said an Indian meal gives her almost the same feeling as an endorphin pepper high. I agree with her, but I am not sure why it makes us feel that way. The food this evening was spicy, but not hot-spicy. Not like buffalo wings or hot salsa. Maybe it's because Indian food always seems like home-style cooking, so it makes you feel good. You can imagine a little Indian grandmother in the back that has been cooking all day.

No comments: