My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, April 19, 2003

Dog food

We were getting ready to settle down and watch the movie, and Goliath still had not eaten anything. He turns his nose up to everything; Scooby snacks, bread, etc. I thought I would try cooking an egg for him. I added a little garlic powder and salt. I let it cool down enough to it wouldn't burn him if he decided to gulp it down. I smelled it but turned his head. I took a little bit in my hand and rubbed it on his nose, with that rationale that he would like his nose and the good taste would stimulate his appetite. It worked for a couple of very small bites, and then he turned his head.

I decided to force feed him. I pried open his mouth, put about a table spoon sized amount in the back of his mouth, and then gently held his muzzle closed. He tried his best to spit it out, but eventually swallowed. Sheri got down on the floor to help me. I would open his mouth and she would toss in the egg. We were able to get more down at a time with both of us working. (After the fact, I found a webpage on how to force feed a dog.)

Between mouthfuls he would look at the plate of egg like he wanted it, but wouldn't go for it. If he doesn't want something or dreads it, he will look away and not make "eye contact" with it. He didn't do that with the egg, so it was like he wanted us to force feed him. He also didn't make any effort to just get up and walk away. Very weird.

After he finished his egg I got out the baby carrots. He loves carrots. He was hesitant at first, but after sniffing at them for just a minute or so, he started eating them! I think he ate about 10 of them before he got tired of them. That was a step in the right direction. Finally I though I would try some peanut butter. I put about two tablespoons on a plate and then scraped up grape sized globs with my index finger and stuck it in his mouth. He liked it. When it was all gone he licked the plate clean. I tried offering him a Scooby Snack. He turned his head on that. I offered him half of a Milk Bone and he did eat that. He didn't take the second half.

We will try another egg tomorrow morning. And of course some carrots and peanut butter.

The vet mentioned that they had some dog food for cancer dogs. I looked it up on the web and the research says that cancer tumors get their energy from carbohydrates. So the cancer dog food is high in protein and very high in fat so that you feed the dog and starve the tumors. I think we will try and get to the vet's after work on Monday and pick up a few cans to see if he will eat it.

We didn't watch the movie again tonight because we got sidetracked feeding Goliath.

No comments: