My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, January 25, 2003

"Fear Dot Com" was pretty bad. I ended up reading my first issue of Popular Science that just arrived. (Thanks M & D!) It didn't even have any good gore.

For some reason my blog page has been loading funny the last day or two. Sometimes the right column won't load, or there will be a box that pops up and says there is an error on the page, or sometimes the page won't load and a different page pops up and says that there is no such blog as im2xlt.blogspot.com. Weird. I don't think it is anything I have done. It seems to be doing OK for now.

No sprouts from the alfalfa this morning. I will keep you posted. Maybe I need an alfalfa cam.

Sheri is getting her hair cut this morning at 11:00 AM. She told me she made the appointment because I asked her this week if she was letting her hair grow out. I have to watch what I say. ;-)

I am looking forward to the Super Bowl commercials tomorrow night. (and the Lou Malnati's pizza!)

Today I am going to try making some baba ganoush. It is just like hummus, but instead of chick peas you use grilled eggplant. You use it the same way as hummus. I have going to serve it with grilled chicken.

My favorite thing to order at the little Middle Eastern restaurant we went to in Columbus all the time was the Mediterranean platter. (The description was "Everything you always dreamed of.") It had hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, pita bread, tabouli, and a Greek salad. I have not been able to find falafel in Chicago that is anywhere near as good as that little place. I thought it would have been the other way around.

We have discovered a new warm breakfast cereal that we have been eating a lot. I think I may have mentioned it in an earlier post. The brand name is Kashi. They have a number of different varieties, but the one we like is called "The Breakfast Pilaf". It takes more than 30 minutes to prepare, so we cook up a batch, put it in the fridge, and then use it within a few days. We have put it in the microwave with milk for traditional hot cereal. Stirred it into yogurt. And eaten it cold and plain. They also have all kinds of recipes and ideas on the back that sound good. Mix it with tofu, eggplant, potatoes, and spices to make a curry. Put it in a tortilla with salsa and guacamole for a burrito. Serve it cold with a little dressing for a lunch salad. (That would be similar to tabouli.) The only ingredients are:
  1. Whole oats (not rolled)
  2. Long grain brown rice
  3. Whole rye
  4. Whole hard red winter wheat
  5. Whole triticale (a wheat and rye hybrid)
  6. Whole buckwheat
  7. Whole barley
  8. Sesame

A half cup serving has a whopping 6 grams of fiber, which is 24% of the recommended daily allowance.

I have a little bit of homework for this week that shouldn't be too bad. He just wants us to expand a little bit on what we turned in last week, and read one chapter. No biggie. It think I will work on that while Sheri is getting her hair cut and running her errands.

No comments: