My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Wednesday, January 15, 2003

I got Sheri to eat, and like, eggplant! I picked one up at the grocery store tonight on a whim. I cut it up into about 1" cubes, and I left the skin on (that's where all the flavor is). I then pan fried it in a little sesame oil, and sprinkled on salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Lawrey's seasoned salt, and a little bit of habanaro powder. I served it with a little fat free sour cream. Put a little sour cream on the fork, spear a piece of eggplant, eat. Delicious. She said she really likes it and could eat it often. It has become one of my favorites. Very versitile.

We bought a bunch of other fruits and vegetables too. Watercress. Two plums. A peach. Two gala apples. Humus to dip vegetables in. A red bell pepper. Baby carrots. Wasabi flavored roasted soy beans. Roasted pumpkin seeds. Seven whole grain cereal (Kashi brand).

I am trying to eat better. I want to put more emphasis on vegetables, fruits, vegetable oils, nuts, and whole grains. Stay away from sugars, processed carbohydrates (white flour, grits, etc.), beef, butter, cheese. Fish, chicken, and eggs in moderation. I am defiantly not striving to be a vegetarian, but I want to shift the emphasis of my diet to the healthier foods, and be able to enjoy the splurge foods when I do eat them.

There are a series of special reports in this week's Newsweek that discuss diet research and how the human body is affected. A lot of it made sense. Pick up a copy.

I didn't have any Diet Pepsi today! I had one last night during class because I was losing steam.

I bought a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Pot to keep at work. I made a batch of iced tea today, but used the decaffeinated tea bags instead of the regular. Pretty good.

The wind chill was -11º below zero. The regular temperature was 4º It hurt walking from Union Station to work. I am especially thankful for the employee cafeteria on days like today.

I have a postcard for Sunny. We keep forgetting to get postcard stamps though. We should have them tomorrow. I am still trying to think of a new trivia question for the next contest.

No comments: