My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I picked the first four ripe tomatoes from my tomato plants yesterday. I had two for dinner last night and one for breakfast this morning. I am committed to not letting any of the tomatoes going bad, so I will eat them at every meal if need be.

They are pretty good too. Very juicy. Good flavor. Nice texture (not mealy). I picked the largest one a week or two ago that was still green as an experiment to see how it would ripen off the vine on our counter. It should probably be ripe enough to eat tonight.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever planting tomatoes at our Columbus house. Last year was the first year we planted tomatoes here, but for some reason they didn't turn out good. Not much flavor, and even worse… mealy. I hate that. It could have been they were planted too late; watered too much; not watered enough; heirlooms; not fertilized enough. I don't know, but these are much better than last year's try.

No comments: