My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Living in Columbus for about 15 years made me a little tired of the people that took their Buckeye football too seriously. It's one thing to be disappointed when they lose, but it is entirely different to hear a grown man call a radio talk show to analyze the previous weekend's game with the kind of emotion you would expect from someone trying to save their house from being torn down.

Fast-forward to present day and living far away from Buckeye country where there is NO talk of the Buckeyes. This morning I wanted to soothe my wounds a little bit (or maybe it was pick them), but there is very little in the newspaper; no Coach Tressel show on TV; no Buckeye-dedicated radio talk show to listen to. And then it struck me. I don't know why I didn't think of it before (or maybe it took me four years away from it before I needed it again). I tuned into the web cast from the all sports AM 1460 radio station in Columbus.

It is kind of like the need to go through the whole funeral home ritual to come to terms with the loss of a loved one. To get over the loss of a big game it helps to hear the pain of other Buckeye faithful.

I think listening to AM 1460 on the web the day or two before a big game will also help to get me more into the spirit. Like I said before, in Columbus there was no way around it. There were pre-shows and post-shows all over the place. I was hard not to hear some of the hype. Here any Buckeye news is buried on page 14 of the sports section.

Even for the Bears or Cubs in Chicago there is nothing that even approaches the intensity of the Buckeye football fan community in Columbus, and I guess I miss it.

No comments: