My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

We went to the humane society last night (Friday) to walk some New Orleans rescue dogs, but the shelter was closed by the time we got there.

We had kind thought we were also going to get a pizza and watch a movie, but when we sat in the parking lot and planned it out, by the time we called in our order, picked it up, changed out of our dog walking clothes and into our lounging clothes, cut and served the pizza, settled in, etc. that it would be too late.

Instead we went out to dinner. We used to go to Red Robin a lot in Columbus, and we have been a couple times here, but I have resisted Sheri's efforts to get me to go the last couple of years because I have been more serious about the food I eat. The main problem with Red Robin are the steak fries. Every burger automatically comes with them, and if you want more just nod to your waiter and he will bring out more for free. French fries, especially if you are diabetic or trying to lose or keep off weight, are about the worst thing you can put in your mouth.

So last night I thought I will go to Red Robin, order a burger, and just tell them no fries. I might feel a little dorky doing it, but so what, it's my health. When we sat down, the first thing that caught my eye on the menu were their salads. Hmmm… this could be a good thing.

I ordered the Cobb salad and it was excellent! It was definitely a meal. It was served in a plate similar in size and shape to a pie pan. It was loaded up with a nice bed of greens rising above the rim of the plate. Then placed in pie shaped sections around the top of the greens were all of the toppings. The toppings were:

grilled sliced chicken breast (with a very good seasoning and a nice grilled taste)
sliced black olives
chopped hard boiled egg
avocado slices
diced bacon
crumbled bleu cheese
diced tomato

I ordered it with ranch dressing. At first I thought I would have liked it better if everything was already tossed together rather than in sections on top of the lettuce, but it turned out to be easy enough to work everything together myself. The next time I order that I think I will ask if they can substitute extra avocado for the bacon.

Sheri had the Bleu Ribbon Burger which has their steak sauce, bleu cheese, onion straws (onion rings cut into strips so you can bite the burger better), tomato, lettuce, and chipotle mayonnaise. She ate half of it and brought the other half home. She finished it about an hour after we got home. She left about half of her fries.

By the time we got home it was too late to get into a movie, so we just watched a little bit of TV and went to bed.

We are going to go back to the shelter this morning and spend some quality time with the New Orleans dogs. (Actually I don't know exactly what city or state the dogs came from. I will ask today.)

The Buckeye game is televised in Chicago today at 2:30 PM, so I will watch some of that this afternoon. I have a COBRA bill and a credit card bill to pay this afternoon too. Besides that nothing else is planned for today.

No comments: