My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

I think Subway subs are pretty crappy. The main fault is their cheeses and meats are almost flavorless. I defy you to tell the difference between their provolone, Swiss, and American cheeses in a blind taste test. The meats are only a little bit better.

The bread doesn't have much flavor either, and it could be a little bit chewier. On the plus side, it is always fresh. There is a lot of room for improvement though.

Actually most of their vegetables are usually good. The tomatoes, green peppers, etc. always looks fresh.

Having said all that, I occasionally eat there for lunch because there is not much else near where I work, and sometimes I just have to get out of the building. Usually I just eat at my desk.

To make the best out of a bad situation I have come up with the best and most flavorful way to order a Subway sub.

1. Bread. Choose whatever you want. Not much difference.

2. Meat and cheese. They have a daily special for $2.49. I always just order that. It doesn't matter which one because they all taste pretty much the same.

3. Toppings. OK, here is where the differentiation comes in. You only need four toppings: onion, green pepper, cucumber, and tomato. Don't order lettuce because it doesn’t add to the taste, and only takes away room from the more flavorful toppings. These four toppings offer enough moisture and cool crunch anyway.

4. Dressing. Secret number two. The last thing they will ask you is if you want mayonnaise or mustard. Say "Just a little of each." This lets them know not to drench it in too much mayonnaise, but you get just enough for flavor and a little extra moisture. The light mustard gives it just a little zip without overpowering the rest of the sandwich.

That's it. Do NOT be tempted to go overboard and have them add other stuff. It will only muddle the carefully balanced flavors of the four vegetables. Their black olives always have an awful taste too.

Stop by a Subway and order it exactly this way just once and tell me if it is not the best you can do with their crappy ingredients.

I used to get a foot long because I thought a 6" sub just wouldn't fill me up. I usually ended up feeling slightly too full afterwards. When that realization finally hit me I tried just getting a 6". Immediately after eating I felt like I could still go for more, but after just 10 or 15 minutes of digesting I usually feel pleasantly satisfied. When I go to a Subway I always take a newspaper. That way I am focusing on reading and I get enough time for the sandwich to take effect. I also never get chips. Just the sandwich and sometimes a drink. Today I just had water.

No comments: