My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Well I made it through a week of third shifts. I really didn't mind it. What made it bad was my bad back. I am used to sitting upright in a supportive office chair all day. If I focused on my posture my back hurt less, but it still made the time go very slowly at times.

Last night for lunch around midnight we went to Arby's. I didn't want to get French fries, so I got a big sandwich. I tried their half-pound Big Montana. All it is is a half pound of their shaved roast beef on a bun. It was $4.50 and I would probably order it again in the future.

I would do it again if I had to, but it really did disrupt my whole week. I didn't feel like I really had any personal time at home for myself. It all centered around trying to get sleep before I had to go back to work. I have a stack of mail and bills to take care of from the week.

Every night I took along a few bottles of water and a few protein bars. I tried and really like the South Beach protein bars. A box of 5 is a little over $3 which is about $0.65 per bar. One bar has 20% RDA of protein, only 7 grams of sugars, and 12% RDA of fiber. Every couple of hours when I would get a little hungry I would nibble on a bar and have some water. That would keep me going for another couple of hours. Oh, I think they taste really really good too. I have tried and liked the maple, peanut butter, and cinnamon raison.

I didn't get to see Sheri too much this week because we had opposite schedules, so I really missed her. Even though she was home when I was home I was trying to sleep and she didn't want to disturb me.

Last night I used my key to get into work and disabled the alarm with no problem, then re-armed it successfully when I left.

We got our first bill for COBRA coverage. It was a little bit over $2,000 for three months of coverage. I can pay it with a credit card on the web, so I will wait until after the next billing cycle and then pay it in order to get a little extra time.

I lost a couple more pounds this week from the extra activity of working outside. As a treat we went to Bobak's for a late lunch/early dinner Polish buffet. I didn't over-do it either. I stayed away from the mashed potatoes, even though I wanted a big blob. I had a delicious sauerkraut pierogi. A breaded pork cutlet. A small piece of orange roughie. Two small pieces of sausage. Cucumber salad. Half of cabbage roll. (The sauce is not as good as Mom's. The filling was good though.) Half of a potato pancake. I also had a paczki and a little piece of apple strudel. We walked through their grocery store afterwards and bought two pickles from their brine barrel and a gallon of milk on special.

We took the milk and pickles home, picked up the laptop and the newspaper and are at Panera now. Sheri got a double iced espresso and I got an iced tea. We have to go to Best Buy so I can pick up a memory card reader for work, and then we will probably go home and watch a movie.

Our plan for today was that I was going to come home and sleep for a few hours and then we were going to go have a fun day. Hang out at the book store. Walk around downtown. Maybe even see a movie. We ended up sleeping off and on until about 4 PM. Oh well, I guess night shifts are tougher to get used to than I thought.

We planned on seal coating our driveway this weekend, but I didn't feel like going to the store tonight and lifting the 5 gallon buckets of tar tonight because of my back. I probably shouldn't doing any back-bending kind of activity tomorrow to give my back some time to heal. If we did it Sunday we would have to leave the cars parked in the street for a day or two, and we can't do that because they will be ripping up our street and re-paving it Monday morning at 5 AM. I guess we will seal coat next weekend.

Sheri pre-ordered the new Harry Potter book a few months ago. It should arrive tomorrow afternoon via UPS. I think I know what Sheri will be doing.

I tossed our card reader in the bag along with the laptop so I could post a couple of pictures of us hanging out in Panera.



No comments: