My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Monday, July 11, 2005

I was only at work for a couple of hours today. Because of a scheduling mix-up I am going to work an overnight shift doing some GPS work on some busy roadways. I don't know if it will be just for tonight or for the rest of the week. I got a couple of hours of sleep in. Sheri went to Trader Joes and picked up some Clif Bars for me to take along. I don't know if the trucks will have a water jug or not, so I am going to look for something to take some water in. I am going to wear one of my safety green t-shirts. I also have a reflective safety vest at work that has fiber optic strips running throughout the vest that are lit up by an LED light source.

We do one lane at a time. A big truck with a huge crash-absorbing bumper protects us about 100 feet or so behind us. It has a giant flashing arrow too. We just stay inside the lane and we should be OK. I ride in another truck that goes ahead. The driver pops the lids of storm water sewers, I take some observations and a GPS measurement and move on to the next one.

We did this for most of the county during the daytime, but the remaining roads are extremely busy and we wanted to do them at night for safety reasons. We will not do any structures that are in an intersection because we would be vulnerable from two sides. I will coordinate with the Sheriff's department to do the intersections once the rest of the road segments are done. We will have protection from the bumper truck for oncoming traffic, and have one or two Sheriff's cars protecting us from cross traffic.

No comments: