My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

After I dropped my mail off in the mail box I went for a little bit more of a ride than I planned on. Only 2.75 miles. I got a little sweaty but not enough to change clothes or take a shower before I go run some errands now in the car.

If my parents are to be believed the hole grail of tomatoes is the campari tomato. It first got national recognition when they were used as a prop in an episode of The Sopranos.

The campari is bigger than a cherry tomato, smaller and rounder than a plum tomato and is the deepest, robust shade of red. It is sweet and juicy (never mealy), has superb sugar and acid levels and has won awards in Europe. It's an on-the-vine variety and is greenhouse-grown by only three suppliers in North America, two of which are in Canada.

Apparently there is somewhat of a cult surrounding these tomatoes and their addictiveness has been compared to that of crack cocaine.

I am going to see if I can find them in a nearby store for dinner and see if the hype is warranted. Wish me luck.

No comments: