My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

I went to Taco Bell for dinner and had a tostada, a regular hard-shell taco, and a chili cheese burrito.

After I finished eating I went to our favorite Meijer to mostly walk around. The first thing I looked for were the campari tomatoes. The 1.1 pound (17.6 ounce) package was on sale for $2.00, but they only had one left and it was open and looked like someone had gone through it.

I strolled through the rest of the store to kill time but didn't buy anything.

Since all I have had to eat today was my morning soy protein and the Taco Bell for dinner I felt like a little treat on the way out. I bought a toffee ice cream bar from the Blue Bunny vending machine in the vestibule. Thank god that ice cream is not one of my usual cravings or weaknesses, but tonight it just sounded good.

Since this Meijer had the campari tomatoes I thought the chances were pretty good that the other Meijer two miles away would have them, and they did.

I snatched up the best looking one and ran to the check out, paid for them, and went straight home, drooling the whole way. At home I dumped them into a colander, rinsed them off, and took a big juicy bite out of one. I think I got a bad batch.

The juicy-level was perfect. The firmness was absolutely right on. The tomato taste I would say was pretty good too. Not even a hint of mealyness. The problem was that they were very tart. Almost lemon tart. My teeth had that raw feeling you get when you eat something that is tart.

I had a few just plain like that, and then I quartered about four or five into a bowl, drizzled a little olive oil on them, tossed them a bit, and then added a little salt and some fresh ground black pepper. That helped but the tartness was still the dominant taste.

I will give them one more chance in a week or two to allow the current local supply to get sold and get a new batch in.

I've said it before, but this time I mean it: I am going to go downstairs now and watch Kinsey.

No comments: