My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

I have the 24 Hours of Le Mans race on the TV right now. It is really hot there right now, 88º and humid, and the cars are enclosed, not an open cockpit, so it is really tough on the drivers. It seems like a team has three drivers that can be swapped in and out. Interesting. Because it is so hot they can use the tires with the harder compounded rubber which means they can go longer between tire changes. I think it makes them slightly faster too.

The United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis is on TV tomorrow for Husband's Day and I am going to make a point to watch it. They are going to televise the practice laps today. I think I like Formula 1 racing the best. More than NASCAR and more than Indy Car. I like Formula 1 better than Indy Car mainly because I think the curving track is more exciting than oval racing. I like F1 better than NASCAR because I prefer the high tech aspect of the cars. In NASCAR they deliberately have rules that limit the amount of technology a car can have, with the idea being that it makes it more a test of the driver's skill rather than how much money a team has.

My feeling is if every team has tons of money to throw at a car, which they do in F1, then everyone is on an even playing field anyway. I like the idea that the technology guys in the back-room have just as much determination on whether a team wins or not as the driver does. Because everyone's car is not going to be cookie-cutter like in NASCAR it adds another level of interest to the race.

No comments: