My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

I don't know when, probably not soon, but I will be buying a digital SLR camera. If I were to buy one today I have it narrowed down to two. Both are Canons.

Digital Rebel XT Currently $750 at Amazon.com


EOS 20D Digital Currently $900 at Amazon.com


Both prices include a 17-85 mm zoom. You can save some money and buy the camera body only without a lens, and I might do that because I have two good lenses from my 35 mm EOS Elan. The thing is though, the image sensor in a digital camera is smaller than a frame of 35 mm film. I think because of that the digital sensor sits closer to the lens than the frame of film does in a film camera. The result of this is that a lens from a 35 mm camera has a longer focal length than a lens designed for a digital camera.** So my 300 mm telephoto becomes a 480 mm!

I have to check to see if that is the only difference with using on older film lens with a digital camera. The only other concern I can think of is if the entire image sensor will be filled with image from the lens, or will there be black bands along the edges or something. More research is needed.

** I am not a 100% sure on this and I reserve the right to be wrong.

No comments: