My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

We sent these two cute pictures of Shawn via the Internet to the Wal-Mart photo department tonight for printing. They turned out really good. I am still amazed at the quality of the prints. I can't tell they are from a digital camera and not film.





When we got a digital camera a few years ago we had so much fun shooting with it that we stopped taking film pictures. I felt bad because bits of our lives that we were documenting were not necessarily going to be around 20 years from now. Hard drives crash. You upgrade to new computers and the accumulated picture files are just too much to transfer.

But I couldn't see going back to film. We were taking a lot more pictures and having more fun doing it because we weren't thinking in the back of our minds that each picture was costing $0.30 or $0.40 cents each after adding the cost of the film and the cost of developing. And you have to pay to develop all the pictures. Not just the ones that turned out.

Now with this excellent, easy, and cheap Wal-Mart service I want to start regularly and liberally making prints of pictures of our lives to archive. How sad it would be 20 years from now to reminisce about events that we experienced and not be able to look back at pictures of them. How we looked. What others looked like. What we were wearing. The size of the oak tree on the corner lot.

We have a few photo albums, but I think they are the kind with the clear sticky sheets that you lift up, put the pictures on the page, and then lay the sticky cover back down to keep them in place. I want to get plastic pages with sleeves to slide the prints into.

I have stayed awake WAY to late these last two school nights (think midnight. 1 AM) and I pay for it when it is time to get out of bed the next day and near the end of the work day. I am going to take a melatonin, brush my teeth, and get into bed right now. Sheri is watching 4 Little Girls downstairs right now. I watched it when she was in Columbus visiting last week. It is pretty good. You should watch it at least because it documents an important part of American history. It is also very interesting.

No comments: