My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Done. Don't have to worry about lawn fertilizer again until August.

The hardest part about fertilizing the lawn for me is picking up the fertilizer at the store. I can do the whole yard in about 15 minutes and without breaking a sweat. I guess it is because with a broadcast spreader each path you walk covers three feet or more, whereas a lawn mower only covers 22", so you are walking a lot less than when you mow. Also a spreader is about 40 pounds lighter than a mower so there is less effort there as well.

It works out good for me now because a Home Depot is only about a mile out of my way on the way home. If I know I need to fertilize soon I just stop by on my way home and pick up a bag. I usually don't apply it the same day I buy it. All of the stars have to be aligned just right before I do that. But the important part is having it at home, ready to apply, so when everything works out, like this morning, I can just do it.

This morning I applied Vigoro's Ultra Turf™ Summer Turf Fertilizer plus Insect Control. I have had very good luck with Vigoro products. I think they are only sold at Home Depot, and they are usually much cheaper than the Scott's products. This application only cost $10. They had a similar Scott's product there yesterday for $20. I always look at the Scott's stuff and compare labels, but I usually end up with the Vigoro.

I used to use Scott's all the time and the one thing that really annoyed me was the product would come out in big clumps. I would have to get a metal stake and spend five minutes breaking apart the big clumps of fertilizer before I could apply it. I have never had that problem with Vigoro. Each individual granule stays unclumped and free flowing.

The company that makes Vigoro also has these brands:

Bag-a-Bug
Bandini
Cutter (mosquito repellent)
Garden Safe
Hot Shot
No-Pest
Nu-Gro
Rayovac
Real-Kill
Remington (shavers)
Rid-a-Bug
Schultz
Spectracide
Spray Chem
Sta-Green
Tetra (fish and aquarium supplies)
Varta

I always find it interesting to know what else companies do.

No comments: