My greyhound can run faster than your honor student.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

About three years ago our ISP increased our broadband connection from 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps for free. After they announced they did that I went out to an Internet speed test site and verified that sure enough we were clicking along at 2 Mbps.

Every now and then I will go out to a test site and make sure we are still getting the same speed. I tested our connection a few days ago and we were still getting 2 Mbps.

I have been reading a lot of news stories telling how cable companies have been increasing their speed to beat off the competition from DSL. I went out to our cable company's website to see if they were announcing any speed increases. I didn't see any announcements, but when I went to the pricing page for their Internet connections they had pricing for:

0.1 Mbps (112 kbps)
0.5 Mbps (500 kbps)
4 Mbps
6 Mbps

What happened to 2 Mpbs?!?!

Last night I called the tech support line and they increased the speed of everyone that was paying for 2 Mbps to 4 Mbps back in March. We tried a few things and could not get us to test out at 4 Mbps.

They are sending a technician out tomorrow (Wednesday) to see what the problem is. I can hardly wait until Wednesday night to see what it feels like to surf the web at twice the speed. To tell you the truth I was pretty happy at 2 Mbps, so 4 Mbps should be amazing.

For you dial-up users, 4 Mbps is 80 times faster than what you are used to. A file that takes 1 minute to download on dial-up will only take ¾ of a second at 4 Mbps!

No comments: